Public Relations Student Society of America, affiliated with the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA), was created on Nov. 11, 1967. The PRSA organization created PRSSA to share knowledge, establish an academic foundation and maintain a strong public relations field for future professionals. On April 4, 1968, PRSSA inducted the first 14 chapters, called the Alpha Chapters.
PRSSA was created for college students to enhance their knowledge of public relations and provide access to professional-development opportunities. There are currently 284 PRSSA Chapters across the country with a total membership of over 10,000 members.
The Illinois State University (ISU) Chapter of PRSSA was established on Feb. 5, 1979. For the 2011-2012 academic year, the ISU PRSSA Chapter has 103 active members from various majors. The ISU PRSSA Chapter provides members with opportunities to develop and learn about the public relations industry, network with students and professionals and execute public relations campaigns, programs and events.
Chapter Management and Documents
- 2012 National Conference Chapter Development Session presenters
- 2012 Star Chapter Award
- 2012 Bateman Competition Honorable Mention
- 2012 Good to Go Commuter Challenge winner
- 2012 RSO Faculty Advisor of the Year Award
- 2011 Star Chapter Award
- 2011 Good to Go Commuter Challenge winner
- 2011 February FUNdraising Bowl winner
- 2010 Civic Engagement Award
- 2009 Star Chapter Award
- 2007 Top Honors, National Ethics Advocacy Award
- 2006-07 Teahan Outstanding Community/ University Services Award
- 2006 and 2007 Ethics Advocacy Champion Bell
- 2006 Bateman Competition Award, 5th Place
- 2006 Top Honors, National Ethics Advocacy Award
- 2005 Bateman Competition Award, 3rd Place
- 2001 Registered Student Organization Outstanding Program of the Year
- 1991-1992 Midwest District Outstanding Newsletter
- 1990 Midwest District Chapter Newsletter
- 1990 Midwest District Outstanding Chapter Fundraiser
- 1st National Betsy Plank Ethics Medal
What are our members saying about us?
- "The meetings and workshops are good and informative."
- "The Executive Board makes the members feel welcomed."
- "The tours are a great learning/ networking experience."
- "They are involved with the ISU campus."
- "The Executive Board looks and acts professional, they seem to have extensive knowledge of the Public Relations Industry."
- "It is a great experience."
- "It is a great stepping stone to future careers."
- "The Executive Board follows through with everything they talk about during the meetings."
- "It offers many great opportunities to be successful."
- "It provides many internship opportunities and chances to network with people."
Member of the Month
- March 2013: Emma Newman
- February 2013: Laura Dienslake
- January 2013: Lindsey Probst
- November 2012: Phillip Kawabata
- October 2012: Brittany Tepper
- September 2012: Heather Van Buskirk
- April 2012: Kelsey Carey
- March 2012: Kyle Slamans
- February 2012: Kim Nowlan
- January 2012: Bruce Kennedy
- November 2011: Allyson Corona
- October 2011: Genevieve Prendergast
- September 2011: Hailey Lanier
- March 2011:Hailey Lanier
- January/ February 2011: Kaitie Ries