Background: Doris Dungey was known as “Tan Ta” to her family, friends and readers. Tan Ta spent most of her life working as a mortgage banker while her true passion was writing. She has a unique balance of humor, a passion for delving into the details, an understanding of people and a strong sense of human decency. Tan Ta displayed an instant recognizable writing style filled with spirit, insight and literary illusions; this continues to attract, inform and entertain readers from a wide variety of backgrounds. She enjoyed interacting with her readers and was a generous teacher, touching many lives through her work.
- Enrolled in academic good standing in the School of Communication
- Minimum cumulative GPA 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- A declared major in journalism, mass media, or production
- Demonstrated financial need
- Work, volunteer and/or extracurricular experience (special emphasis for work on high school newspapers, yearbook or related experience)
- Award must be used for educational expenses
- Submit one resume
- Submit one sample of published writing or a graded essay along with a brief description of why it was chosen
- Submit a one page essay of why the recipient is interested in pursuing a career in journalism
- Submit 2 letters of recommendation
Application: Download the application here
Deadline for application: February 17, 2020
Please submit all applications to the School of Communication office on the fourth floor of Fell Hall.